Saturday, August 14, 2010

Next Steps for this Blog - Check the Urban Fox


Been pondering what to do with this blog. I'd like to share some thoughts with you.

I did some experiments elsewhere with Ning, but decided to discontinue the adventure because of horrendous Chinese spam and my personal uncertainty as to where the Ning platform is going. If they can change the policy to charge for maintaing access to content I have created, then even though the initial price is reasonable, I have no idea what they will change next. So like it or leave it. I left.

But back to this space. I initially used it for posting gadgets and stuff that Caught My Eye at IBC Amsterdam. Since 2008, the amount of relevant audio gadgets has dropped considerably. So I have broadened things to include anything of relevance to the blogger, vodcaster, podcaster on the move.

I'm going to comb through previous postings and select some for updating and revising. I will also add new content, since my kit has changed recently. Some comments, such as a recomendation for the HHB range of FlashMics is hopeless out of date and my in field experiences means I have changed my mind.

But what do you think? Still a need for this particular blog?

In the meantime, do check out the excellent musings from UrbanFox. Christina and David are actively testing kit for the documentary maker and offering some candid advice on whether or not to go the DSLR route. Christina also does some excellent, affordable training courses in the UK which I highly recommend. Look out for her too at the IBC 2010.  Great stuff. Honest, practical advice. All with a wry sense of humour that comes from working with stuff to a deadline.

ShareThis